1.10.2008

colonscopy, schmolonoscopy!



I had my first of many colonoscopies today. Yes, that is a many. You may be surprised to learn, especially after my last post, that I am so very okay with this. A few reasons why:



1. I have the most fabulous doctor who not only let me watch on a very awesome flat screen TV, but answered my random questions DURING the procedure. Even though I don't remember what I asked because I was a bit drugged.

2. They already know what's wrong with me. Ulcerative Colitis. The Proctosigmoiditis kind.

3. They gave me a ton of great info on it and my treatment.

4. The treatment is for the rest of my life as it is a genetic, non-curable, chronic condition. It includes meds on and off and regular (every 3-5 years) colonoscopies for monitoring.

5. Bad stuff: Hugely increased risk of colon cancer. Escalation of disease. Fertility issues. Etc.

6. Good stuff: Very treatable. Very manageable. Caught now. Before it got really bad. Fabulous doctor.

Prep was icky. I had to take these pills that made me throw up more violently than I ever had before. Awful. And the liquid really really really cleans you out. No question. Blech. I was pretty loopy all day from the no-food, but other than that I spent my day chilling on the couch and dashing to the bathroom every 15 minutes. No exaggeration.

The hospital was so nice, as were the nurses (I got the "you're HOW old?! and married HOW long?!" bug-eyed looks a few times). I freaked Joey out by reminding him to pull the plug if something went horribly wrong. He hates it when I do that.



Drugs were great. I was awake the entire time and babbled about math patterns during observation. I don't know why. Ah, well. What can you do about being a nerd? I think I'm just as bad on drugs as I am without food, seeing that I could barely hold a simple conversation at a birthday party last night. My brain had literally hurled itself off of a cliff. Poor Gator.

I ended my fast with ramen and a chocolate. so comforting and delicious. mmmmmm.



Sooooooooooo... thank you all who listened to me freak out and prayed and were so encouraging. I have the greatest friends-family-community. I'm going to bed because my brain is still a little drugged and having a horrendous time spelling.

lovelovelove.

h.

2 comments:

emily said...

Heidi! I'm so thankful that you are well enough to blog about all this in your life! Ha ha! I hope your recoveries go well. If you are feeling board between your dashes to the bathroom, you can see our blog:
jeffandemily-lifeingeneral.blogspot.com

:)

Melinda said...

I just am In AWE that you can have a smile on your face while still there! Ha ha!

Con Mucho Amor!