2.05.2008

potatoes and puddles


This is the corner of my kitchen window. It tends to fill up with miscellany herbs and lemons and other happy, cookery things.

It's been dark and cold and stormy here for the last few weeks, which is my favorite winter-time weather. I think growing up in the bay area does that to you. We've been trying to stay home on the weekends; working on projects and being cozy. This translates often into soups and stews with simple salads and crusty bread for dinner, which I love, but Joey is getting a little tired of. This was a potato-carrot-corn chowder I made up one night. Oh the joy of the leftover vegetables.


We had a particularly gnarly storm this weekend. Kit and Joey were antsy with cabin fever, so we decided our only option was to go puddle jumping. At ten o'clock at night. During the storm. Geniuses be we. After harassing Mark into coming along, we galoshed our way to the Rec Field, splashing and laughing our heads off. Joey was not as excited, walking about with his umbrella; but Kit and I did a bit of free-form slip n' sliding (sans slide) and puddle-angel making in the mud. Fabulous. You may not be able to tell, but this is the Kit-O prepping for a massive jump.

See the darkness on their sweatshirts? That's from the rain. Pre-Slip n' Slide. Pre-anything else. Just from walking. Sheesh.

Me with some red, red knees. Sliding on soaked grass is quite similar to sliding on dry carpet, surprisingly.


I'll leave you with one of the favorite moments of the weekend. Joey wrote a new song (all folky and swingy, yay!) it the new space (which will be posted about in a few days). It needed a harmonica. Unfortunately neither Kit nor I are nearly as talented as Nate, who is far off being a grownup in Indiana. So Joey made do. And played both parts at the same time so that we girls could laugh and laugh at my ridiculously gifted boy. I enjoy my family quite a bit. We are fun. And I think we'll always be.

Have a jolly day old friends!

No comments: